Alma Tobía Author
Bodegas Tobía is a project based on the passion for making quality wines, and the love for a land named after wine.
After the first location in the family facilities of San Asensio, Bodegas Tobía moves to Cuzcurrita de Río Tirón in search of the ideal environment that our wines demand. A necessary change marked by the philosophy that Óscar Tobía intends to instill in his creations: modern facilities for the production of modern and complex wines marked by the location and quality of the land.
• Tempranillo (55%) We select two farms:
1. Located in San Asensio, planted in 1965 on a calcareous clay soil with gravel. Altitude: 480 m. Orientation: north, which makes the microclimate clearly Atlantic. The yield of this magnificent vintage was only 2,100 kg / ha.
2. Located in Cuzcurrita de Río Tirón, planted more than 40 years ago on a calcareous rocky plateau at 590 m. altitude, on a very shallow sandy loam soil, barely 35 cm.
• Maturana Tinta (21%) Located in Nájera, Rioja Alta. Planted on a trellis, in 2008, on the plateau at 650 m. facing west-south. Iron calcareous clay soils, very poor and stony, which limits its production. Grown in accordance with organic viticulture. The yield of the 2017 vintage was 2,570 kg / ha.
• Graciano (9%) Located in a mountainous area facing north-south at an altitude higher than 650 m. in Arnedo, Rioja Baja. Ferric calcareous soil, poor and stony. Yield: 4,300 kg / ha.
• Merlot (15%) It comes from a farm located in Haro, in the highest area (590 m.) Called San Felices, on a shallow, calcareous clay soil with gravel. Orientation: south-east. Atlantic microclimate Production: 1,600 kg / ha.
Minimalist winemaking separately from each of the vineyards. Pre-fermentation maceration of the destemmed grapes, without crushing at a controlled temperature. Fermentation of the grapes at a controlled temperature in “smart tanks”. Malolactic fermentation in barrels, followed by aging for 18 months in the same new fine-grained French oak barrels, with periodic racking. Natural stabilization of the wine during the barrel aging process. Bottled without filtering to respect all the natural qualities of the wine.
Clean and bright appearance. Very intense cherry red color with violet rims. Intense aroma of ripe black fruit accompanied by spices (nutmeg, black pepper, cloves), mineral notes, pipe tobacco, dark chocolate and fine cedar wood. In the mouth it is unctuous, voluminous, meaty and glyceric, with good freshness. Polished and silky tannins. Great spicy and cocoa aftertaste. Tremendously long and persistent.
Limited production: 13,289 75cl bottles